I’ve never heard of this one before but it turned up on the Microsoft downloads last night. Server Server 2008 Express is a free product you can download and install.
“Search doesn’t have to be complicated
Bring enterprise search to your organization quickly and easily for FREE with Microsoft® Search Server 2008 Express. As an IT professional, you need a search solution that allows you to deliver the simple, easy-to-use experience your users expect while helping to meet the security and manageability requirements your IT environment demands. The download on this page has been updated to include Service Pack 2.
Note: In order to install Search Server 2008 Express on Windows Server 2008 R2, you must use this download. Previously available versions will not install.
Quick to download and set up
- Reduce your risk in choosing a search solution by starting with a free, full application you can download and set up to meet your needs immediately
- Go from downloading to searching in minutes with a streamlined setup process
Easy to configure and maintain
- Review common administrative tasks, search status, and settings in a single view
- Manage content sources and search scopes, authoritative sources, key words, best bets, and other configurable relevancy settings through a powerful, easy-touse management console
- Index common information sources with Indexing Connectors for file servers, Web sites, Microsoft SharePoint® sites, Microsoft Exchange Server public folders, as well as EMC Documentum, IBM FileNet, and Lotus Notes repositories
- Monitor search performance and improve search relevance with query and results reporting
- Help ensure that only the right people can find information with a search engine that utilizes your user authentication infrastructure for enhanced security
Powerful enough to meet your search needs
- Empower your users to quickly find the information they need through a familiar, Web search-style interface
- Deploy a search capability optimized for business data to deliver highly relevant results across intranet and public-facing Web site content
- Scale your deployment to meet your needs with no preset document limits and continuous index propagation
- Easily upgrade to a multiserver topology with Microsoft Search Server 2008 or Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 as your enterprise search needs evolve
For more information on Microsoft enterprise search products, please visit www.microsoft.com/enterprisesearch”
There also appears to be a commercial product offering more functionality.
One thought on “Search Server 2008”
I’ve been running SSX over a year as the company intranet. SSX is essentially a cross-over remix of WSS and Sharepoint Server 2007 (the search part).
If I were to implement a free edition of Sharepoint now, I wouldn’t 🙂 I mean, I’d rather wait for SharePoint Foundation 2010 to be released 1H 2010.