Questions to Microsoft
- My data is scattered. I might not even know where it is.
- I cannoit create unified policies for my data security
- How do I protect PII for GDPR, etc.
Microsoft Information Protection is a suite of solutions, designed from the ground up, to protect data no matter where it is.
750 regulatory bodies around the world making up to 200 new data security decisions every month.
2025 – 165 zetabytes of data to manage and secure.
Microsoft Information Protection
- Cloud services
- Unified solution to discover, classify and label
- Automatically apply policy-based actions
- Proactive monitoring to identify risks
- Broad coverage across locations
The Way The MS Solution Was
Point solutions in market today:
- O365 information protection
- Windows information protection
- Azure information protection
An incomplete solution because they are point solutions.
MIP unifies these solutions. A new unified UI.
- Microsoft 365 Security Center: security.microsoft.com
- Microsoft 365 Compliance Center compliance.microsoft.com
Obvious support on Windows Office. Now on Office/Mac and coming to Office/Mobile. Should be GA on all clients by the end of the year.
SharePoint Online will be showing labels, etc when creating sites/groups. Can apply retention labels in SharePoint Online too – auto-classification will determine if a retention policy should be applied.
Beyond Office 365
Windows Information Protection is a Win10 feature. Difference between company and personal data. Can apply rules to company data. Data (since 1809) will understand MIP labels applied to a file. If you try to copy/paste info from a protected file to Twitter, for example, Windows 10 will prevent that. Or if you try to attach the file in Outlook personal, or Gmail, etc. It will also prevent a copy to USB – no more superglue!
Compatibility for Existing AIP Customers
- New M365 E3 customer can configure labels using the SCC portal. Can try out MIP-enabled AIP add in on Windows. Support coming to Mac and Mobile.
- M365 or existing AIP customer can use AIP portal.
Customers will be transitioned over time.
Azure Information Protection Scanner
- File server shares
- SharePoint Server 2010, 2013, 2016
Can discover data and force labelling/protection of documents.
I got bored here – “demos” that were just screenshots on PowerPoint. Weak!