I’ve just been working on a new server build that included SQL 2008. The customer wanted SQL 2008 (full installation) and SP1 for SQL 2008. I put both downloaders on the server and went to work. Firstly, SQL 2008 fought me on this clean W2008 build. I ended up doing a 3-phase installation of SQL (some components at a time). Then when I installed SP1 it broke the master database during the upgrade.
I was at my wits end when I remembered I could slipstream or integrate the service pack into the installation media for SQL 2008. A quick search led to the article I needed. This page shows you how to slipstream SP1 into SQL 2008. You then have only one install to do instead of two.
This sorted out my problem for this server – but it has me worried about other existing SQL 2008 RTM/SP0 installations.