My site is hosted on Azure in the Dublin (Europe North) region. On Friday morning, I was checking something when I saw my site was not loading correctly – it was either offline or VERY slow. So I check the Azure status and saw it was offline. I restarted the application pool and the problem remained. I rebooted. MySQL took an age to load, but the site was still not loading … from home.
I have endpoint monitoring configured. Notice that Amsterdam was showing an issue and Chicago was not. Strange, eh? I’ve worked in hosting and I know how localised these problems can be. So it was time to start digging.
I asked online and people in Denmark were OK. Folks in Belfast and Netherlands had connection problems. Later, Denmark went offline and Amsterdam came back!
From Home (Vodafone Ireland – very slow/no access) I ran a tracert:
From the lab at work (Magnet ISP – access OK) I had different results:
From a VM with an ISP (Blacknight – access OK) I had different results again:
It was very odd. Nothing was red on the Azure status site. I’m guessing there was a localized issue within Azure that affected just a subset of us, or there was an external routing issue that affected some ISPs.
It’s still like this as I post … in other words, the site is fine for some and offline for others.
I came home today to find that my site was once again available via my ISP.