Microsoft has released a beta (pre production and for test only) kit for bumpping up the position of the sites on your IIS servers in search results, i.e. Search Engine Optimisation or SEO. This tool kit includes “the Site Analysis module, the Robots Exclusion module, and the Sitemaps and Site Indexes module, which let you perform detailed analysis and offer recommendations and editing tools for managing your Robots and Sitemaps files.
Site Analysis Features
- Fully featured crawl engine named ‘iisbot’
- Configurable number of concurrent requests to allow users to crawl their Web site without incurring additional processing. This can be configured from 1 to 16 concurrent requests.
- Support for Robots.txt, allowing you to customize the locations where the iisbot should analyze and which locations should be ignored.
- Support for Sitemap files allowing you to specify additional locations to be analyzed.
- Support for overriding ‘noindex’ and ‘nofollow’ metatags to allow you to analyze pages to help improve customer experience even when search engines will not process them.
- Configurable limits for analysis, maximum number of URLs to download, and maximum number of kilobytes to download per URL.
- Configurable options for including content from only your directories or the entire site and sub domains.
- View detailed summary of Web site analysis results through a rich dashboard
- Feature rich Query Builder interface exposing large amounts of data
- Quick access to common tasks
- Display of detailed information for each URL
- View detailed route analysis showing unique routes to better understand the way search engines reach your content
Robots Exclusion Features
- Display of robots content in a friendly user interface
- Support for filtering, grouping, and sorting
- Ability to add ‘disallow’ and ‘allow’ paths using a physical view of your Web site
- Ability to add ‘disallow’ and ‘allow’ paths using a logical view of your Web site from the result of site analysis processing
- Ability to add sitemap locations
Sitemap and Sitemap Index Features
- Display of sitemaps and sitemap index files in a simple user interface
- Support for grouping and sorting
- Ability to add/edit/remove sitemap and sitemap index files
- Ability to add new URL’s to sitemap and sitemap index files using a physical view of your Web site
- Ability to add new URL’s to sitemap and sitemap index files using a logical view of your Web site from the result of site analysis processing
- Ability to register a sitemap or sitemap index into the robots exclusion file”
There is a concern that something like this would cause an undue load on the IIS server/sites. Microsoft responds to this with instructions for using a configurable setting. This allows you to set the maximum number of concurrent requests created by the SEO Toolkit.