How much WAN bandwidth will I need for Hyper-V Replica? How much disk space will I need? What will be the IOPS impact on the secondary host if I keep historical copies/snapshots of my VMs? Are there any CPU or memory requirements for the hosts? Microsoft has released a Hyper-V Replica (HVR) capacity planning guide and tool/utility to answer those questions. The Virtualization Blog states:
The answer to the above and many other capacity planning questions is “It depends” – it depends on the workload, it depends on the IOPS headroom, it depends on the available storage etc. While one can monitor every single perfmon counter to make an informed decision, it is sometimes easier to have a readymade tool.
The Capacity Planner for Hyper-V Replica which was released on 5/22, allows you to plan your Hyper-V Replica deployment based on the workload, storage, network and server characteristics. The guidance is based on results gathered through our internal testing across different workloads.
What you should do:
- Download the document and tool
- Read the documentation
- Use the tool
The way it works is:
- You configure a secondary site to receive replication (SSL replication is supported, as you can see in the above screenshot)
- You run and configure the tool to run some tests
- You select the virtual machines to consider in the tests
- The planner sends a test VHD to the secondary site to test the connection and metrics are gathered (this lasts a few minutes longer than the configured test duration)
- A report is stored in "%systemdrive%UsersPublicDocumentsCapacityPlanner with information on the VMs and primary/secondary host impact (CPU, RAM, IOPS, Storage) and Network.
- The tool is free. USE IT
- No data is collected from the guest OS. This tool, like Hyper-V Replica replication, works at the host level.
- The tool does not do physical server replication forecasting. It works with HVR.
- You should not use the tool with VMs that are already replicating.
- The tool does not configure HVR – it’s a metrics gathering and forecasting tool.